Refereed Conferences and Invited Academic Presentations:
Alexander, A, Bartel, L, Friesen, L, Shipp, D. and Chen J. From Fragments to the Whole: A Comparison between Cochlear Implant Users and Normal Hearing Listeners in Music Perception and Enjoyment. May, 11, 2009. CSO-HNS 63rd Annual Meeting, Dalhousie University, Halifax
"Sound Health: The effect of music on mind and brain from conception through aging" The Healthy Brain Event, Toronto, Sept 28, 2008, Holistic Health Research Foundation of Canada
Play and the Arts Held Hostage by the “Bully Excellence” Lee Bartel & Linda Cameron, ISME, Bolgna Italy July 2008
Learning and Relearning: Implications for Music Education from Cochlear Implant Recipients’ Experience with Music Lee Bartel ISME, Bolgna Italy July 2008
Breaching the Discursive Frame: Provocative Video as Transformational Tool Lee Bartel & Linda Cameron MISTE Commission, ISME, Rome Italy July 2008
Redefining the Education of a Musical Society, Lee Willingham & Lee Bartel ISME, Bolgna Italy July 2008
Musical Memes: Toys as Teachers. Linda Cameron & Lee Bartel ISME, Bolgna Italy July 2008
Sound Health: How can we meet the challenges? Keynote Address. 2nd International Music Therapy Research Conference, Wilfrid Laurier University, June 13-15, 2008.
Research Background, Theoretical Basis, and Functional Design of CI Music Enjoyment Ability Retraining software. Otolaryngology Grand Rounds, Toronto General Hospital. April 4, 2008.
Is there a Place for the Orchestra in a Just Society? music ficta/Lived Realities: A Conference on Engagements and Exclusions in Music, Education and the Arts. University of Toronto, January 24-27, 2008.
Bartel, L., Ostroff, J., Bodmer, D., Shipp, D., Chen, J. M. Music Education Dimensions of Cochlear Implant Recipients’ Experience with Music: From Five Qualitative Case Studies to Attention-based Diagnosis and Training. RAIME Conference, Miami, November 2007
The Professors Ate the Homework: Do we have the “stomach” for a change in schooling? With Linda Cameron. 8th Annual Curriculum and Pedagogy Conference Marble Falls, Texas, October 4-7, 2007
Dilemmas of Pedagogy: A Perspective from Peak Performers With Linda Cameron. 8th Annual Curriculum and Pedagogy Conference, Marble Falls, TX October 4-7, 2007
Can you democratize an orchestra?: Implications for Education. 8th Annual Curriculum and Pedagogy Conference, Marble Falls, TX October 4-7. 2007,
Lee Willingham, Kara Buelow, & Lee R. Bartel, Educating a Musical Community: Pilot Year Report. Pan Canadian Music Education Conference, St. Johns Nfld June 2007.
Asking the Right Questions to Conduct and Report Research, DocTalk, OISE January 24, 2007
Questioning the Music Education Paradigm: What we might be doing. Invited presentation, State of the Art of Music Education in Canada Symposium, May 25 – 27, 2005 The University of Western Ontario
Dilemmas in Music Education: A Research Report. October 10, 2003. University of South Florida. Presentation to the graduate students and faculty of the School of Music. With Linda Cameron.
Face the Music: Why the Aphorism of Judgement. October 11, 2003. University of South Florida. Presentation to the graduate students and faculty of the School of Music. With Linda Cameron.
Self-Efficacy in Music: The Social Construction of Fear in Teachers. October 13, 2003 University of South Florida. Presentation to the graduate students and faculty of the School of Music. With Linda Cameron.
Conditions of Learning in Contexts of Cultural Diversity. An Interactive Workshop given at the International Society for Music Education Conference, Bergen, Norway August 2002. With Linda Cameron.
Social Construction of Self-efficacy: Teachers Teaching Music. A Panel presentation given at the International Society for Music Education Conference, Bergen, Norway August 2002.with Linda Cameron, Bob Wiggins, Jackie Wiggins.
Pedagogical Dilemmas in Dance and Music: Balancing the Demands of the Art with the Needs of the Person. Paper presented at American Education Research Association, April 3, 2002, New Orleans, Arts and Learning SIG, With Linda Cameron.
Implications Of Generalist Teachers’ Self-Efficacy Related To Music. Paper presented at the Thirteenth International, Music In the Schools and Teacher Education Commission Seminar, Malmö, Sweden, August 2002. With Linda Cameron, Bob Wiggins, Jackie Wiggins.
Conditions of Learning in Music and Dance, Feature presentation at the International Colloquium on Sports, Music and Dance, at the School of Physical and Health Education, University of Toronto, September 2001, with Linda Cameron. Paper based on “Face the Music” music and dance interview research.
Pedagogical Dilemmas and Binaries in Tension. Paper presented at the RAIME Conference in Oslo, Norway, October, 2001.
Self-Efficacy in Teachers Teaching Music. Paper presented at the conference of the American Education Research Association, Music Education SIG, New Orleans, April 2, 2002. With Linda Cameron.
Pedagogical Dilemmas in Dance and Music: Balancing the Demands of the Art with the Needs of the Person. Paper presented at American Education Research Association, April 3, 2002, New Orleans Arts and Learning SIG, With Linda Cameron.
“Meaning and Understanding in Music: The Role of Complex Constructs.” Paper presented at the Symposium on Musical Understanding, Victoria, B.C., February, 2001.
“Facing the Music in Education.” Paper presented at the Music Education SIG, American Education Research Association Convention, Seattle, Washington. April 2001.
"Making-meaning from multiple texts" Whole Language Umbrella Conference, National Council of Teachers of English, Nashville Tennesee, July 27-30, 2000. With Linda Cameron
"A Foundation for Research in the Effects of Sound on Brain and Body Functions." Paper presented at the International Conference of the Research Alliance of Institutes of Music Education (RAIME), London, Ontario. September 21-24, 1999.
National Symposium Arts Education Vancouver. August 1998, "Canadian Content in Music Curriculum." With Patricia Shand & Lori Dolloff.
World Congress of the International Society for Music Education, Pretoria, South Africa, Paper/workshop presented July 1998, "Using the Creative Synergy between Story and Music in Personal Meaning-making" With Linda Cameron.
World Congress of the International Society for Music Education, Music in the Schools and Teacher Education Commission, South Africa, Paper presented July 1998, "Engage or disengage: A study of lasting response to music teaching." With Linda Cameron.
Canadian Society for Studies in Education, June 1998, Ottawa. "Lack of Talent or Miseducation: Study of Teacher's Perceptions of Inability" Paper presentation. With Linda M. Cameron.
International Holistic Education Conference, October 1997, Toronto, "Soul-Quilting Through Music and Literature." With Dr. Linda Cameron.
National Symposium Arts Education Cape Breton, August 1997, "Canadian Content in Music Curriculum: Policy & Practice." With Patricia Shand.
National Symposium Arts Education Cape Breton, August 1997, "Creative Synergy: Story and Music." With Linda Cameron.
Canadian University Music Society Conference, Memorial University, June 13, 1997. "Conditions of Music Learning." With Linda Cameron.
Executive Function and Developmental Psychopathology: Theory and Applications Conference, University of Toronto, May 29 & 30, 1997. "Musical training methods to improve recovery of attention and memory following head injury." with Jeffery Jutai, Roger Knox, Peter Rumney, Robert Gates, and Vivian Wit.
Pedagogical Institute of Orekhovo-Zuyevo, Russia, CIS., September 24, 1993. "The application of psychology to music education in Canada."
Research Symposium of The Cultural Research Centre, Ministry of Culture, Moscow, CIS., September 22, 1993 "Research in Social Psychology of Music in Canada."
Canadian University Music Society Conference, Carleton University in June 2, 1993. "Two Studies Related to Faculty Evaluation." Presented as a 1 1/2 hour round table discussion. With Gregory Johnston.
Canadian Music Educators Association, Research Commission, Waterloo, Ontario, May 1993. "Canadian Music in the School Curriculum: Illusion or Reality." A joint paper presented by P. Shand.
Canadian Music Educators Association, Research Commission, Waterloo, Ontario, May 1993. "Coping with Performance Stress in Canadian Orchestras." With Ed Thompson.
Indiana Symposium on Research in Social Psychology of Music, University of Indiana, May 2-4, 1993. "A Study of Factors in High School Students' Self-Perception of Musicality."
Indiana Symposium on Research in Social Psychology of Music, University of Indiana, May 2-4, 1993. "Coping with Performance Stress: A Study of Professional Orchestral Musicians in Canada." Co-author and presenter: Edward Thompson
Ontario Music Educator's Association Conference - Research Sessions, Toronto October 23, 1992, "A Study of Social Factors in the Musical Identity Construction of High School Students - A Preliminary Report."
Canadian University Music Society, Charlottetown, PEI, "Canadian Music in the School Curriculum: Illusion or Reality." a joint paper presented by Patricia Shand. May 1992
Canadian University Music Society, Kingston, Ontario. "Refinement of the Cognitive-Affective Response Test - Music" May 31, 1991.
Canadian Music Educators Assoc. Research Commission, Vancouver, B.C. "A Study of Music Program Administration" a joint paper with Patricia Shand. May 1991.
Canadian Music Educators Assoc. Research Commission, Vancouver, B.C. "Cognitive-Affective Response to Music: An Exploration of Cultural Differences." May 1991
World Congress of the International Society for Music Education, Helsinki, Finland. Paper presented in Poster Session: "A Study of Relationships Among Listener Characteristics and the Cognitive-Affective Response to Music." August 9, 1990
Research Commission of the International Society for Music Education, Stockholm, Sweden. Paper presented: "A Study of Relationships Among Listener Characteristics and the Cognitive-Affective Response to Music." July 31, 1990
Canadian University Music Society, May 31, 1990. Paper presented: "A Study of Music Program Administration" with Patricia Shand.
Canadian Music Educators Conference Research Sessions, Halifax NS, May 4, 1989. "A Study of Differences Between Musicians and Nonmusicians in Manitoba Colleges."
Canadian University Music Society, Quebec, PQ. May 31, 1989. "The Measurement of Response to Music in the Linguistic Mode."
Non-Refereed Publications, Lectures,
Cameron, L, & Bartel, L. (2009). The Researchers Ate the Homework: Perspectives
of Parents and Teachers. Education Canada. January 2009. pp. 48-51
Bartel, L. (2008). Is it meaningful communication or rhetorical bafflegab? Canadian Music Educator Vol 50, No. 1
Sound Health Column: Therapeutic Power of Sound Body Magazine Spring 2008
Graduate Seminar in Jazz (Paul Read) Research in Jazz, Research as Jazz, Oct 31, 2007 (2 Hours)
Advanced Seminar in Multi-Literacy, OISE (Linda Cameron): November 3 – 4, 2007
Asking the Right Question (90 minutes)
Meaning and Complex Constructs (90 minutes)
Homework Research. (90 minutes)
Graduate Seminar in Piano Pedagogy (Midori Koga). Researching performance and pedagogy with narrative techniques. November 20, 2007
Bartel, L. (2007). Is it Important or Merely Impressive. Canadian Music Educator Vol 49, No. 1 pp. 24-26.
NATS Ontario Conference, Panel participation, Issues in Training the Adolescent Voice. May 2007
Bartel, L, Chen, J.M., Ostroff, J. & Shipp D. (June 2007) Cochlear Implants: A developing research program. Presentation to the cochlear implant researchers from Sick Kids Hospital, Baycrest Hospital, and Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
Bartel, L. (2006). The Case of Harvard vs. Disney, Canadian Music Educator Vol 48, No. 2
Bartel, L. (2006). Another Way to Justify Music Education? A Look at The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida, Canadian Music Educator Vol 48, No. 1 (Reprint from Vol 46, No 1).
Bartel, L (2006) Research on Music Literacy Canadian Music Educator Vol 47, No. 3
Pedagogical Choices: Learning Effects. Keynote address, Royal Conservatory of Music, Art of Teaching Conference, June 30, 2005.
Bartel, L (2005) And the band played on… Canadian Music Educator Vol 47, No. 2
Bartel, L. (2005) Tipping the paradigm. Canadian Music Educator Vol 47, No. 1
Bartel, L. (2005). Tell me a story! Canadian Music Educator Vol 46, No. 3
The Face the Music Study as Exemplar of Progressive Qualitative Research University of South Florida. Presentation to a graduate class in qualitative research, College of Education, February 17, 2005. With Linda Cameron.
Bartel, L. (2004). Introducing … Questioning the Music Education Paradigm Canadian Music Educator Vol 46, No. 2
Bartel, L. (2004). Another Way to Justify Music Education? A Look at The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida, Canadian Music Educator Vol 46, No. 1
Bartel, L. (2004). A Vision for Change Canadian Music Educator Vol 45, No. 4
Asking the Right Question: Fine-tuning doctoral research. August 22, 2003, University of South Florida. Presentation to the students and faculty of the graduate department of the College of Visual and Performing Arts.
Seven Trends in Data Acquisition and Knowledge Development. August 25, 2003 University of South Florida. Presentation to the students and faculty of the graduate department of the College of Visual and Performing Arts.
Diversity in Research Methodology: My Personal Journey, August 25, 2003. Presentation to the students and faculty of the graduate department of the College of Visual and Performing Arts.
Research in Choral Music: Methods and Materials, October 3, 2003. Presentation to the Graduate course Advanced Techniques and Research in Choral/Vocal Music. University of South Florida.
Research on Singing: What we know and What we might do. October 6, 2003. Presentation to the Graduate course Advanced Techniques and Research in Choral/Vocal Music. University of South Florida.
Multiple Meanings of the Conducting Act. October 7, 2003. Presentation to the Graduate course Advanced Techniques and Research in Choral/Vocal Music. University of South Florida.
“Music and Health” Lecture to the University of Toronto Senior Alumni, St. George Campus, Oct 1, 2003
“Music for Mind Body and Soul” A series of 2 hour lectures for the Georgian Triangle Life Long Learning Association. 270 participants.
- Jan 17, 2003 Foundational Assumptions about Music, Body, Mind
- Jan 24, 2003 Music and Therapy: music as a means and vehicle for physical, mental, psychological, and spiritual healing
- Jan 31, 2003 Music as Medicine
- Feb 7, 2003 Music, Language, and Intelligence Connections
Soma or Psyche? The effect of music, Don Mills Unitarian Fellowship, September 29, 2002..
Does Music Make you Smarter? OISE Course, Issues in Early Childhood Education, October 17, 2002
Research on Early Childhood Music Development and Connections to Language. Presented to the class of the OISE course Children’s Literature as a Foundation of Literate Behaviour Across the Curriculum. January 16, 2003
Asking the Right Questions: Key Questions for Advising and Planning Research. Presented to Faculty of Music Ph.D students. April 10, 2002
Asking the Right Questions: Key Questions for Advising and Planning Research. Seminar Presentation to invited OISE Ph.D students. April 23, 2002
Bartel, Lee (2002). Music Education and Globalization. Canadian Music Educator, 44(1). 2.
Bartel, Lee (2003). “Good Job!” What are you really saying? Canadian Music Educator, 44(3). 2.
Willingham, Lee, & Bartel, Lee (2002). Proposals for Change to the Face of Music Education. Canadian Music Educator, 43(4). 2.
Bartel, Lee (2002) Series Preface. In Timothy Sullivan and Lee Willingham (Eds). Creativity and Music Education. Volume I of the Series “Research to Practice: A Biennial Series.” Published by CMEA. Lee Bartel, Series Editor. P. xiii.
Bartel, Lee & Willingham, Lee. (2002) CMEA in Dialogue. Canadian Music Educator, 43(3). 2-3.
University of Toronto, Senior Alumni, Scarborough. October 25, 2001. Lecture: Effects of Music and Sound on Brain and Body.
Women’s Musical Club, February 14, 2002: Lecture: When you “Face the Music” who is the judge?
Bartel, Lee. (2001). Dilemmas, Tensions, Trade-offs – Can we have both? Canadian Music Educator, 42(4). 2.
Bartel, Lee. (2001). Memes, Music, and Toys. Canadian Music Educator, 43(1).2.
Bartel, Lee. (2001). Music Education’s Rehearsal Model. Canadian Music Educator, 43(1). 16.
Bartel, Lee & Willingham, Lee. (2001) The Canadian Music Educator’s Association – So What? Canadian Music Educator, 43(2). 2-4.
Bartel, Lee & Willingham, Lee. (2001) “Music Makes you Smarter” – Is there any evidence? Canadian Music Educator, 43(2). 11-12.
Bartel, Lee. (2000). The Question is… Canadian Music Educator, 42(1). 33-34.
Bartel, Lee. (2000). A Review of “Music of the Heart” Canadian Music Educator, 42(1).37-38.
Bartel, Lee. (2000). Why Do We Do Music? Canadian Music Educator, 42(2). 2.
Bartel, Lee. (2000). A Review of “The Music Man.” Canadian Music Educator, 42(2). 2.
Bartel, Lee. (2000). Science, Philosophy, Chaos, and Beauty? Canadian Music Educator, 42(3). 2.
Bartel, Lee. (2000). A Review of “The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T.” Canadian Music Educator, 42(3). 37.
Bartel, Lee & Willingham, Lee. (2000) Off to a New Start. Canadian Music Educator, 42(1). 2.
Bartel, Lee & Willingham, Lee. (2000) Advocacy or Hypocrisy. Canadian Music Educator, 42(1). 2.
Bartel, L, Bowman, W., Bellous, J. & Peglar, K. (2000). The Ethics of Early Talent and Identity Formation. Electronically published by Orbit: www.oise.utoronto.ca/orbit
Bartel, L. & Cameron L. (2000) Editorial: Lessons from Music. Orbit, 31(1). p 2
Cameron, L. & Bartel, L. (2000). Engage or disengage: A study of lasting response to music teaching. Orbit 31(1) pp. 22-25
Bartel, L. & Cameron L. (2000)The Creative Synergy Between Music and Story. Orbit, 31(1).p 26-29 (reprint).
Bartel, L. (2000). The Perfect Recording. Orbit, 31(1). p 7.
Bartel, L. (2000). Separation of Audience and Stage. Orbit, 31(1). p 13.
Bartel, L. (2000). Is Music a Sport? Orbit, 31(1). p 18.
Bartel, L. (2000). The Rehearsal Model. Orbit, 31(1). p 25.
Bartel, L. (2000). Today's Systemic Violence Orbit, 31(1). p 37.
Bartel, Lee R. Editorial: "What difference would it make?" Canadian Music Educator: Research Edition, 40(7) 1999
Bartel, Lee R. Editorial: "Of Love, Lore, and Lenses" Canadian Music Educator: Research Edition, 39(7) 1998
Metro Toronto Music Coordinators - January 13, 1998. Research Report and Discussion regarding Lasting Engagement.
Bartel, Lee R. Editorial: “Do We Really Make A Difference?” Canadian Music Educator: Research Edition, 38(7) 1997
Canadian Society for Studies in Education, June 1997. Discussant for Paper on test-making by Antoinette Gagne, Linda Cameron, & Jim Cummins.
Bartel, Lee R. & Cameron, Linda. What really matters in music class" B C Music Educator, Winter 1996 Vol 39, No 1, pp 10-17 (reprint from CME)
Bartel, Lee R. & Cameron, Linda. What really matters in music class" Canadian Music Educator, Fall 1996 edition.
Bartel, Lee R. (1996). Editorial: “Becoming an Inquiring Teacher” Canadian Music Educator: Research Edition, 37(7) pp. 1-2
Bartel, Lee R. (1996). Outcomes and Standards: What Matters? The Recorder.
Bartel, Lee. R. (1995). Editorial: "Thoughts on the research agenda: Passion or pragmatics?" Canadian Music Educator: Research Edition, 36(7), 3.
Bartel, Lee. R. "Cultural Equity in Music Education." The Recorder, 37 (2), 1995. 51-54.
York University, Glendon College, Teachers in Training Conference, November 14, 1994. "Relating to your Multiple Worlds as Educators."
Toronto Symphony Women's Committee, October 19, 1994. "Research in Social Psychology of Music."
Toronto Psychoanalytic Society, April 21, 1994. "The Role of Music in Bereavement and Grieving"
Guelph University and McMaster University (television link). April 12, 1994. "Music Education in Canada: An Overview"
Bartel, Lee. R. Editorial: "Change through Inquiry and Collaboration." Canadian Music Educator: Research Edition, 35(7), 1994, 3-4.
Bartel, L. “The dawn of redeeming grace.” Christian Week. December 1993. p 9
Bartel, L. “Being Christian in the University.” Christian Week. August 1993. p. 10
Symposium on Stress, Anxiety, and Medical Problems of Performing Musicians: Causes and Prevention. March 4, 1:00 - 3:00 pm.
• Organized and hosted this event with Dr. Albert LeBlanc, Michigan State University; Christine Zaza, University of Waterloo, Health Sciences; and Dr. Edward Thompson, School of Physical and Health Education, U. of T.
Bartel, Lee R. "How are you coping?" Crescendo, The Journal of the Toronto Musicians' Association. 40(3) May/June 1993
"Coping with Performance Stress: A Study of Professional Orchestral Musicians in Canada" Information Update, Centre for Health Promotion, February 1993, p 2. with Ed Thompson.
Toronto Board of Education Seniors' Studies Lecture Series, "Rehearsal of Handel's Messiah: Three Perspectives," December 14, 1992.
Hugh MacMillan Rehabilitation Centre, Presentation to the Research Staff, "Research in Social Psychology of Music" November 2, 1992
Bartel, Lee R. "Music and Health: What relationship?" Centre for Health Promotion Newsletter, Winter 1992. 8-9.
Bartel, Lee R. "How do musicians cope with performance stress?" O.C.S.M Newsletter 15(2) January 1992. 16
Organization of Canadian Symphony Musicians, Annual Conference, Edmonton, Alta., August 9, 1992, "A Study of Performance Anxiety Coping Strategies Employed by Professional Orchestral Musicians in Canada: An In-Progress Report." a joint paper with Prof. Ed Thompson.
Toronto Music Therapy Association, "Research in Music Performance Anxiety - An In-progress Report." May 25, 1992.
Hagarman Mennonite Church: "Research in Music Response: Implications for Church Music," March 1, 1992. This paper part of a Hymn Festival sponsored by a group representing 13 Toronto and Area Mennonite and Brethren in Christ Churches
Bartel, Lee R., "Introducing the Canadian Music Education Research Centre." Canadian Music Educator, 32(1), October, 1990, 3-9.
Ontario Music Educators' Association, Overture '90 Conference in Hamilton, Ontario. "Action Research for Music Teachers" Nov. 16, 1990
Bartel, Lee R. "Class Guitar: A Multifaceted Approach." Music Educators Journal, 77(2). October, 1990. 40-45.
Bartel, Lee R., "The Tradition of the Amish in Music." The Hymn, 37(4) October, 1986, 20-26.
Bartel, Lee R., "Prescription for a Spiritual Music Ministry." The Messenger, 23(4) February 22, 1985, 1-2.
Bartel, Lee R., "Balance in Worship." The Servant, 7(3) Jan-Feb, 1985, 2-3.
Bartel, Lee R., "Church Music Seminar: A Musical Feast." Anacrusis, 4(4) Summer, 1985, 14.
Bartel, Lee R., "Ministry of Music in the Church." The Servant, 3(4) March-April, 1980, 1.
Interviews, Media Appearances, Media Coverage of Research, etc:
Homework Research 2007-2009
Feb 11, 2008 CMHC Hamilton Bill Kelly – 15 minute Interview
Feb 11 Humber Radio
Feb 11 CBC Yellowknife Trails End Show, Norbert Poitras, 10 minutes
Feb 11 CityTV Evening News
Feb 12 CBC Ontario Morning, Wei Chen 15 minutes
Feb 12 Halifax News 95.7 – Afternoon News with Tom Young 20 minutes
Feb 14 Joan Olek, 20 minute interview for School Library Jounral
Feb 15 CKNX AM920 Bryan Allen Guelph and Bruce Peninsula, 15 minute interview
Feb 15 Ottawa Citizen interview
Feb 19 Ottawa CBC Talk Radio
Feb 26 CBC Ottawa Morning Kathleen Petty 12 minute interview
Feb 27 Achannel CFPL (CHUM - London) Inquiry- Jennifer Hall – 10 minute TV London, Ottawa, Windsor, Wingham, Broadcast Saturday night, March 1 6:30, Sunday March 2 9:00am.
April 1, CMHC (and channel 14 TV) Hamilton, Bill Kelly 10 min
April 1, Canadian Press, Chinta Puxley, Queen's Park Correspondent 30 minutes
April 1, Globe and Mail, Tralee Pearce, Life Reporter – 30 minutes.
April 1 Canwest News Service, Janice Tibbetts, National Reporter, Education
April 1, The Niagara Review, Alison Langley, 10 minutes
April 1, Calgary Herald, Sean , 10 minutes
April 2 CTV Sudbury, quotes for display
April 4 Ryerson Radio – interview for broadcast – 5 minutes
April 7 CBC The Current half hour segment
April 7 CHQR Calgary 15 minute interview
April 7 CKMW Vancouver, Kristi Clark Show 10 minutes
April 15 torontObserver, http://www.tobserver.com/ Interview with Nathan Bailey
October 21, 2008 Natalie Alcoba, National Post - related to Homework research
March 24, 2009 CBC Kelowna - Marion Barschel on Daybreak Kelowna 10 minutes
Related to Brain and Music
• Classical 96.3 Sept 24, 2008 Interview related to Music and Holistic Health
• CTV Nov 27, 2001 on music and therapy
• 2000-01 Numerous including Globe & Mail, Star, MacLeans, CBC On the Arts with Lori Brown, etc.
• TVOntario - 1 hour interview, April 13, for special during Education Week - Music and Brain
• Ottawa Radio - Susan Epps - 30 minute aired April 13.
• ONTV, Hamilton, noon news - December 21, 1999
• CBC Midday News (national) March 8, 2000
• National Post, March 6.
Related to "Engage or Disengage" study
CBC Radio Interviews (about 5 minutes each)
Toronto Metro Morning - November 19, 1998
Windsor - November 21, 1998
Ontario Morning - November 21, 1998
Ottawa - November 21, 1998
Montreal - November 21, 1998
Winnipeg - November 21, 1998
Regina - November 21, 1998
Calgary - November 21, 1998
Kelowna - November 21, 1998
Prince Rupert - November 21, 1998
CBC TV Newsworld - Talk TV with Anne Petrie - a 45 minute cross-Canada phone- in talk show. December 12, 7:15 - 8:00 pm.
Talk 640 Horseman/Leaderman Show. November 20, 1998
Research Reported in articles in:
Globe & Mail, Thursday November 20,
Globe & Mail Friday November 21,
Globe & Mail Editorial, November 22,
U of T Bulletin,
University of Western Ontario Gazette,
Ming Po Chinese Newspaper,
Thompson News Service (130 papers),
Performance Anxiety in Professional Orchestras Research
"Hitting Performance Highs, Lows" by David Todd, University of Toronto Bulletin, February 22, 1993. News article reporting on the study of performance anxiety coping strategies.
Featured Article (full page plus picture), TORONTO SUN, by Joanne Richard, March 11, 1993. News article reporting on the study of performance anxiety coping strategies.
Interview with Catherine Belyea, CFMX-FM 96.3, February 3, 1993 Arts and Information Hour. Re-broadcast on February 23, 1993.
Interview for a news release by representative of Thompson News Service (to their 50 newspapers across Canada), Feb 1, 1993.
Press Release by University of Toronto Media Services, "Performance Anxiety Coping Study" January 1993. Media agent: Alida Minchella.
Article in Der Spiegel, Germany
Other Research Media Coverage
U of T press release related to Research to Practice Series book: Questioning the Music Education Paradigm in the News@UofT and in The Bulletin. http://www.news.utoronto.ca/bin6/040920-471.asp
News@UofT and in The Bulletin - story with photo related to children’s music series
U of T Magazine article http://www.magazine.utoronto.ca/05winter/leadingedge.asp
MetroNews article – January 18, 2005 http://www.metronews.ca/worksmart_news.asp?id=5716
Edge Magazine article, Spring/Summer issue published May 30, 2005
Manuscripts/Publications in Preparation or Unsubmitted
Brainwave Response Study: Effect of Overtone-Rich Sound-based Entrainment. A paper based on a study comparing the entrainment effectiveness of “normal” overtone rich sounds with sine-wave based entrainment. 2007
Short-span entrainment in an alternating music sequence: A study of EEG effect. A paper based on an eeg study using music excerpts intended to entrain brainwave activity in alternation with artistic classical repertoire. 2007
Workshops, adjudicating, consulting, interviews etc.
Ontario Ministry of Education, Arts Curriculum Review, Univ of Toronto Representative appointed by Provost. March 2007
• University of Toronto Senior Alumni, Music and Health, October 1, 2003
• Persian Gulf Region - Capacity Building Workshops. Nov 2 – 7, 2002 As part of a UNICEF, Early Childhood Care and Development Capacity Building Workshop, I presented a series of lectures and workshops focused on data acquisition and knowledge development approaches for needs assessment and project development. This culminated in a whole day of facilitating national project planning and proposal outlining. The about 20 participants represented medical, social services, university, funding agencies, and educational sectors of Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, and the United Arab Emirates.
• Consulting with Oster Electronics in Baltimore regarding the development of audio music and voice system for rehabilitation of speech, tonal processing, and related cognitive disorders. 1999-2004
• 3 choral workshops with visiting U.S choirs, May 2000
• Ovation Music Festival Adjudication – April 2001
• Three choral workshops with visiting U.S choirs, May 1999
• Royal Conservatory of Music - November 11, 1998 Teacher Development Lecture Series "Great Books for Music Teachers."
• Royal Conservatory of Music - May 1998 Teacher Development Workshop, "Strategic Music teaching." (3 hours) With Linda Cameron.
• Royal Conservatory of Music - February 16, 1998 Teacher Development Workshop, "Enhancing Motivation through Conditions of Learning." (3 hours) With Linda Cameron.
• Metro Toronto Music Coordinators - January 13, 1998. Research Report and Discussion regarding Lasting Engagement.
• Two Choral Workshops with choirs from Lincoln, Michigan & North Chicago, April 25, 1997, May 13 1997.
• Ontario Music Educators' Showcase, Workshop: "Standards in Music Education." with Lee Willingham and Greg Bereznick. Kingston, Ontario, November 3, 1995
• Ontario Music Educators' Showcase, Workshop: "Guitar across Cultures." Kingston, Ontario, November 3, 1995
• Adjudicated - PEI Provincial Music Festival, June 3 1995
• Adjudicated - Festival of the Lakes, Toronto, choral and instrumental sessions, May 5 and 13, 1995.
• Adjudicated - Strings session at the Pembroke Music Festival, Pembroke, Ontario, February 23-24, 1994.
• Much Music (City-TV) - Talk Show Guest as Expert on Social Psychology of Music, 1 hour talk show hosted by Master T. January 30, 1994.
• Adjudicated 3 choral music festivals in Toronto organized by the Philadelphia based "Music Maestro Please!" April 25, May 9, May 30, 1993.
• Canadian Music Educators Conference, MIDI Workshops and Demonstrations with Robert Wood, Univ of Western Ontario, May 12-15, 1993
• Participated in reading application profiles, Faculty of Education, University of Toronto,
• Heritage Music Festivals, Choral Festival, York University, May 1991
• York Memorial Collegiate, Workshop on guitar technique, April 20, 1989
• Peel Board, Honour Choir, "Breath Management in Choral Music," March, 1989
• Illinois State Choral Competition (B schools central region) 1986
• Church Music Workshops on Choral Conducting, Hymn Singing, Music in Worship, Music Education in the Church Context, and Philosophy of Church Music in some 25 churches between 1977-1985
• Manitoba Provincial Music Curriculum Implementation workshops in numerous schools: guitar 1979-81
• Manitoba Junior High Curriculum Guide, contract writing, 1978
• Manitoba Music Educators Conference, "Contemporary Choral Music" Workshop, 1973
Other Professional Appointments:
Board Member, Alternative Arts Education Association, 2008 -
Chair of Board 2005- Music Roots Inc., An organization offering educational sound exploration, instrument making, and creative music workshops to children in schools. Member of Board 2003 - 2005
Board Member, All Together Now Entertainment Inc. A company creating educational children's media. 2003 -
SERVICE TO UNIVERSITIES, COLLEGES, AND COMMUNITY
(selected and representative involvement)
Administration, Committees, Policy
• Coordinator Music Education Division, 1994 – 2000; 2006 - 7;Grad Coordinator 2004 – 2006
• Served at various times as member on:
Research Committee 2008 - 09
Undergraduate Education Committee
Graduate Education Committee
Board of Review
Academic Appeals Committee
Graduate Appointments Committee
U of T Faculty Association (UTFA)
UTFA Status of Women Committee
Internal and External tenure reviews
Policy and Planning Committee, Academic Board
Report Review Panel for the Centre for the Study of Aging, Academic Board
Report Review Panel for the Centre for South Asian Studies Academic Board
• Concurrent Teacher Education Program, development council member representing Music, 2004 - 2006
• Representative for Faculty of Music, Vice-President's Committee to formulate University response to Ministry of Education, The Specialization Years. 1992
• Member, Planning group, Healthy U of T Project initiated by Centre for Health Prom, 1992
• Reader of Admission application profiles, Faculty of Education, U of T, 1993 - 2002
• Member, Faculty Council, Faculty of Education, U.T. 1988-90
• Member, Steinbach Bible College (SBC) Administrative Committee, 1986-87
• Representative Inter-College committee on the formation of Menno Simons College.
• Member SBC Governing Board By-laws Committee 1984-85.
• Vice President, Manitoba Choral Director's Assoc. and Member, Constitution Com. 1986-87
• Chair, Music Committee of the Evangelical Mennonite Conference of Canada 1979-83
• Secretary, Music Committee of the Evangelical Mennonite Conference of Canada 1977-79
• Chair, Kleefeld Mennonite Church Music Committee 1975-83
• Chair, Steinbach Arts Council 1978-79 -constitution
• Founding President, Steinbach Arts Council, 1978-80
• Chair, Music Selection Committee, S.E. Manitoba Music and Speech Arts Festival 1976-1979
• President, Winnipeg Singers (a part-time professional choir) 1983-1985
• Board member, 1983-1985.
• Chair, Music Selection Committee 1984-1985
Financial Management, Fund Raising, Book Distribution
• CMEA Book Distribution 2004-2008 - responsible for the book promotion and distribution for all CMEA Books - about $8000 in annual sales.
• Reviewer, SSHRC applications, various 1991 - present
• Reviewer, Funding application for University of Western Ontario, January, 1992
• Director of Development, S. B. C. 1986-87: Raised million dollars for building project
• Morris-MacDonald School Division, 1974-75, budgeted and managed funds from Gov. of Manitoba Rural Educational Alternatives Program (REAP)
Community and Public Relations
• Member, Ad Hoc Grad Faculty Committee on Publicity, U of T, Faculty of Music ‘92 - 1993
• Director of Publication and Promotion, Steinbach Bible College '77-79, '83-85, '86-87
• Created and edited The Servant, a bimonthly college news magazine (circulation 7000).
• Produced all college brochures, posters, calendars, radio spots, etc.
• student recruitment conferences, tours, materials
• Member Marketing Committee, Manitoba Choral Director's Association. 1986-87
• SBC Conservatory program, founder and manager, 1975 - 1985
• Eastman Honour Band, founder and manager, 1980 - 84
Academic Program Development and Evaluation
• Representative Provost appointed representative to the Ministry of Education review of the Arts Curriculum 11 – 12. February 2007.
• Writer Proposal for a Masters Degree in Music Therapy, U of T 2006
• Member Fac of Music, Curriculum Committee
• Member Fac of Music, Music Education Curriculum Committee
• Member SBC, Academic Evaluation Committee, 1986
• Writer and Editor, SBC accreditation review report
• Chair SBC Academic Evaluation Committee 1980-82
• Member SBC Curriculum Committee establishing a four year
degree program, 1976-1977
• Consultant SBC Curriculum Revision Committee, 1987-88
Concert and Conference Organization and Management
• Co-Chair, Philosophy of Music Education Conference, Faculty of Music 1992
• Organizer, about 30 Music Clinics, 1975 - 1985
• Concerts for the Family (Steinbach and Area, Manitoba)
• Initiator and Director 1978-82
• contracted, organized, promoted an annual series of 3 or 4 concerts with national and international classical music artists (e.g., San Francisco Guitar Quartet; Huggett Family; Hugh McLean, organist, Mennonite Children's Choir)
• Steinbach and Area Carol Festival
• Initiator and Director 1975-1980
• organized and promoted the annual event with an average of 15 choirs
• Winnipeg Singers (a part-time professional choir)
• Stage Manager, Association of Canadian Choral Conductor's Conference 1984
Personnel Search and Evaluation
• Member Search Committee for Music Education position, 2008-09
• Member Promotion Committee – Ryan McClelland 2008-2009
• Evaluator Promotion review – Teaching committee
– Shauna Rolston, 2006, Terry Promane, 2008, Celia Cane, 2008, Leslie Stewart Rose (OISE).2008
• Member Search Committee for Philosophy of Music Education position, 2005
• Analyst Faculty of Music Course evaluations – 1993 - 2004
• Member Ad hoc Committee on Faculty Evaluation 1992 - 1993
• Creator Faculty of Music course evaluation system with Gregory Johnson, 1992-93
• Member, Ad hoc Committee on Policy on Faculty Promotion
• Chair, Search Committee for Music Director, Spring Garden Baptist Church 1993.
• Chair Conductor Search Committee, Winnipeg Singers (a part-time professional choir) 1984-1985 included Dr. Naimark, Pres of Univ of Manitoba
• Supervisor and designer, Renovation of U of T Music Keyboard/Computer facility 1991
• development and design (actual floor-plan drawings) of SBC music building
• development and design (actual floor-plan drawings) SBC library/administration building
• member of building committee for St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Toronto, contributed conceptual drawings
• Acoustical Consultant
• Toronto United Mennonite Church - design of new church construction. 1996,
Vic Heinrichs, Architect
• Steinbach Fellowship Church - design for new church construction, 1982
• Kleefeld Evangelical Mennonite Church, - design for new church construction, 1980
• Member of the Executive Council, Centre for Computing in the Humanities,
U. of T. 1990 - 1995
• Member, Vice-President's (Computing and Communications) Advisory Forum on Instructional Technology, 1991 - 1993
• Chair, Faculty of Music, Music Technology Committee, 1989 - 1993
• Member, Music Technology Curriculum Committee, 1991 - 92
• Supervisor, Set-up and function of keyboard/computer lab 1991 - 1993
Bartel CV Part 2